Project Content: Explore minimalist design and original graphic artwork development while focusing on expressive style with communication. Use and control of negative space/ typography will be essential.
Great poster artwork is about powerful and suggestive imagery. This imagery is developed, photographed, illustrated and REIMAGINED while communicating a full or powerful element of the story. What will you story be?
Remember: All Epic Design Quests require documentation of your design process. Be sure you are very familiar with the design process before beginning any Epic Quest.
To begin this project now you may click Accept.
Create your new project page titled Movie Poster Designs. Now copy and paste the following as you will need to complete and correctly document these 7 steps on the your design process:
- Understand the Problem
- Research and Investigate
- Generate Possible Solutions
- Select AND DEVELOP Best Solution
- Model and Prototype (Create)
- Test and Evaluate
- Open Culture
- Bored Panda (One designer 365 redesigns-one every day for a year)
- Pinterest 2
- Pinterest 3
Sample Student Design
IGNORE EVERYTHING BELOW AS IT IS FILLER FROM AN OLD QUEST
PROCESS REQUIREMENTS BELOW ARE STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION
PROJECT REQUIREMENTS & INSTRUCTION
Design Process STAGE 1: UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM
1. Consider what the goal of your design is: What is the assignment; describe it clearly in your own words
- What is a typographic poster?
- What is unique about this project?
- What will be the challenge for your to succeed in this design?
- What is the goal of typographic poster?
- Select a quote, lyric, or concept for your design.
Design Process STAGE 2: Research and Investigate
Always record every resource either as a cited source or a linked resource with documentation on your project page.
2. Research information topic thoroughly
- Research Font choices or hand lettering
- Research what it means to “use a grid” for your design
- Find and document at least 4 different style of typographic designs (and describe their differences)
- How would you define a successful typographic poster?
My Diigo resource links for typography. use at least 2 or more resources that you document in your process.
Design Process STAGE 3: Generate Possible Solutions
3. Brainstorm ideas for visual imagery representing elements of your topic — Show your brainstorming as idea webs, clouds, lists, found imagery, small sketches of elements (at least 25 ideas, words, elements required)
- Brainstorm – concepts (what your design is trying to show, say, or communicate)
- Brainstorm – stories of general design ideas
- Brainstorm – colors, objects, patterns, images, or stories that could make a connection to your idea
4. Begin sketching thumbnail ideas for the entire invite.
- Sketch at least 4 completely different design layout solutions in your sketchbook.
- Sketch – different grid designs for layout
- Thumbnail sketches should be about 4-5″ sketches in sketchbook
- Designs should be ORIGINAL though inspired!
- Consider fonts, size,weight and spacing in your sketches
- Your document may be any shape or size (minimum 12″ length or width, 150ppi)
Design Process STAGE 4: Select and Develop Best Solution
5. Select the best solution
- notate why you have chosen it
- Finalize a new detailed sketch of best solutions
- sketch the composition of entire design plan
- Focus on possible color schemes
- Document what Principles and Elements you will utilize
- Carefully consider fonts to be used (beware of crazy display fonts, they are often cheesy!)
- How will you create hierarchy of information? (Define what is most important and least important in the design)
Design Process STAGE 5: Model and Prototype (Create)
6. Begin production of your design
- Artwork must be exactly sized (???) with a resolution of 300ppi
- Practice, develop or refine new skills you are exploring.
- Remember Craftmanship matters. It shows you care!
- All images and illustrations must be original and follow copyright laws
- Remember to take in-progress screenshots for you project page–required
Design Process STAGE 6: Test and Evaluate
7. Self-reflect on your design
- self-reflect and carefully evaluate your successes and difficulties
- How could you take it further?
- Ask others for their opinions and document the suggestions whether you agree with them or not.
- Refine or develop elements of the design that can be improved
- Consider asking the Captain for a brief In-Progress Critique
Design Process STAGE 7: Produce
8. Turn in the final .JPG and Print
- Turn file into the captain’s server
- Get final printed and mounted
- Finalize Project Page with full self-reflection
- what you learned
- Fill our grade sheet
COMPLETE: You need a fully finished project page included all scanned sketchbook work with captions. Turn your your finished artwork to the Captain’s Server. Finally Paste the URL to your project page below and you may then click complete.
Movie Poster Design - Stage 2
Submit a URL
Great Work Design Agent.
Amazing work, Visitor.
Go hang the finished piece on the Critique wall at the front of the classroom. Other’s need to see what you have accomplished.
- Matte or Mount for BONUS LOOT: Matte or Mount Bonus
BONUS Self Assessment Loot:
After completion of your project and project page documentation choose one of the appropriate self-assessments for yourself. Consider the skill, craftsmanship, originality, and composition of your final Product: