Additional Epic Loot available in Stage 3!
Goals: Experiment with new mediums after researching to gain an understanding of how artist before you have used this medium.
Project Introduction: Experience an alternative type of photography using a "toy" camera called a Holga. With much less photographic control students will need to be more open-minded and experimental with this new medium. It can be a lot of fun but unpredictability is the name of this game.
Remember: All Epic Design Quests require documentation of your design process. Be sure you are very familiar with the design process before beginning any Epic Quest.
To begin this project now you may click Stage 2.
Create your new project page titled Holga. Now copy and paste the following as you will need to complete and correctly document these 7 steps on the your design process:
- Understand the Problem
- Research and Investigate
- Generate Possible Solutions
- Select AND DEVELOP Best Solution
- Model and Prototype (Create)
- Test and Evaluate
- Problem Solve new challenges
- Approach an new unknown open-minded
- Create at Least One digitally scanned negative from Holga 120mm film
PROJECT REQUIREMENTS & INSTRUCTION
Design Process STAGE 1: UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM
1. Consider what the goal of your design is: this is likely done through research as you need to know what HOLGA is.
- What is a Holga?
- Why have you been assigned this project?
Design Process STAGE 2: Research and Investigate
Always record every resource either as a cited source or a linked resource with documentation on your project page.
2. Research information topic thoroughly
Watch these videos (and others you find in your research)
- How does it work?
- What makes it unique?
- What special effects have other photographers done using Holgas?
Design Process STAGE 3: Brain Storm ideas for your images
How could use the uniqueness that the Holga camera offers to create something new and different. What kind of subject matter will allow you to be experimental or create an interesting raw image.
Design Process STAGE 4: Select and Develop Best Solution
Not applicable as experimentation and learning through trial in error for this project.
Design Process STAGE 5: Model and Prototype (Create)
6. Begin production of your design
- Shoot and develop at least one roll of 120mm film from a Holga camera
- Scan Negatives
- Edit negative digitally as necessary
Design Process STAGE 6: Test and Evaluate
7. Evaluate your results
- Evaluate your negatives and digital images
- How could you improve the results?
- Could you or should you reshoot another roll?
- Ask others for their opinions and document the suggestions whether you agree with them or not.
Design Process STAGE 7: Produce
8. Turn in the final .JPG and get it Printed
- Turn file into the captain's server
- Get final printed
- Finalize Project Page with Self-Reflection
- what you learned
- Fill out Evaluation sheet
COMPLETE: You need a fully finished project page included all scanned sketchbook work with captions. Turn your your finished artwork to the Captain's Server. Finally Paste the URL to your project page below and you may then click complete.
Great Work Design Agent.
Amazing work, Visitor.
Go hang the finished piece on the Critique wall at the front of the classroom. Other's need to see what you have accomplished.
- Matte or Mount for BONUS LOOT: Matte or Mount Bonus
BONUS Self Assessment Loot:
After completion of your project and project page documentation choose one of the appropriate self-assessments for yourself. Consider the skill, craftsmanship, originality, and composition of your final Product: