Hands are one of the most interesting and expressive parts of the human body. Our hands reveal a lot about us: whether we live a hard or soft life, whether we ‘work with our hands’ for our jobs (or don’t), maybe something about the type of work we do. They can also simply be great expressive elements, denoting excitement, calm, anger, even serenity or in the case of infants, innocence. So: go out and shoot a NEW photograph in which hands (or a single hand) are a central element. The only requirement is that the hands really tell us something about the person that the hands belong to, whether that person is in the frame or not.
Remember: All Epic Design Quests require documentation of your design process. Be sure you are very familiar with the design process before beginning any Epic Quest.
To begin this project now you may click Accept.
Create your new project page titled “Hands Concepts”. Now copy and paste the following as you will need to complete and document these 7 steps on the your design process:
- Understand the Problem
- Research and Investigate
- Generate Possible Solutions
- Select AND DEVELOP Best Solution
- Model and Prototype (Create)
- Test and Evaluate
- Plan and Produce 2 conceptual images utilizing hands as subject matter
- Explore creative compositions utilizing P&E
- Use creative problem solving for a inspired and original solution
- Demonstrate how you used problem solving skills
- Explore and demonstrate at least one NEW digital skill (It is not required that you use the skill in your final solution)
PROJECT REQUIREMENTS & INSTRUCTION
- At Least One Proofsheet
- Project Page documenting Entire Design Process
- 2 Final Prints
- optional matting
Design Process STAGE 1: UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM
1. Consider what the goal of your photography is
- What will you communicate?
- Why are you photographing hands?
- What are you exploring in this assignment?
Always record all resources either as a cited source or a web linked resource with documentation
Design Process STAGE 2: Research and Investigate
2. Research information topic thoroughly
- Researched your purpose. Clarify what is needed to be successful
- The more information you have about the people place concept of a project, the more inventive and creative you can be as you brainstorm design ideas.
Design Process STAGE 3: Generate Possible Solutions
3. Brainstorm ideas for visual imagery representing elements of your topic — Show your brainstorming as idea webs, clouds, lists, found imagery, small sketches of elements (the more the better)
- Brainstorm – concepts (what your design is trying to show, say, or communicate)
- Brainstorm – NEW styles, techniques, or even a mediums you will use to create the design
- Brainstorm – colors, objects, patterns, images, or stories that could make a connection to your idea
4. Begin sketching thumbnail ideas for your concept.
- Sketch at least 4 different rough design solutions
- Thumbnail sketches should be about 4″ sketches in sketchbook
- Designs should be ORIGINAL though inspiration is commonly found from other artists!
- Think about qualities of Light and Shadow
Design Process STAGE 4: Select and Develop Best Solution
5. Select the best solution
- notate why you have chosen it
- Finalize a new detailed sketch of best solution
- sketch the layout of entire design with sizes being accurate
- Focus on possible color schemes
Design Process STAGE 5: Model and Prototype (Create)
6. Begin production of your design
- Be aware of your image size
- Practice, develop or refine new technical skills you are exploring.
- Remember Craftmanship matters. It shows you care!
- Maintain originality
- Document your thoughts of difficulties, failures, and challenges
- RESHOOT when necessary
Design Process STAGE 6: Test and Evaluate
7. Self-reflect on your design
- self-reflect and carefully evaluate your successes and failures
- How could you take it further or improve?
- Do a Self-Critique and ask others as well
- Consider asking the Captain for a brief In-Progress Critique
Design Process STAGE 7: Produce
8. Turn in the final .JPG and Print
- Turn 2 files into the captain’s server
- Title final images as: lastname_firstname_hand1.jpg
- Get final printed and mounted
- Finalize Project Page with full self-reflection
- what you learned
- Complete our grade sheet
COMPLETE: You need a fully finished project page included all scanned sketchbook work with captions. Turn your your finished artwork to the Captain’s Server. Finally Paste the URL to your project page below and you may then click comples
Great Work Design Agent.
Amazing work, Visitor.
MASTERY: To earn your mastery:
- Get your artwork matted or mounted
- Go hang the finished piece on the Critique wall at the front of the classroom. Other’s need to see what you have accomplished.
- Actively participate in the class critique
You are a truly special talent, Visitor!
There is greatness in your future!!
As an added Bonus if your Artwork is displayed in the Hall please claim the bonus loot with Extra Mastery.
You make your Captain and your school Proud.
You might want to consider submitting your artwork in competitions in the future. You deserve to be recognized on bigger stages!