Quest Learning Outcomes:
- Create works that support change
- Create by exploring a variety of skills and techniques
Utililizing the non-digital technique of hand-lettering, you will create a piece of art that will deliver a purposeful typographic thought as an elegant piece of design. The emotional response to a simple typographic design about an important statement can create a much more thoughtful response from a viewer of your design.
Your goal to to impact other's thinking though your portrayal of a singular thought or statement of your choice.
Remember: All Epic Design Quests require documentation of your entire design process. Be sure you are very familiar with the design process before beginning any Epic Quest.
WARNING: Upon accepting this quest you will have 21 days to complete the quest. After that deadline the quest will be worth 50%!
To begin this project now you may click Accept.
Time remaining before Penalty goes into effect
Start off by creating your new project page titled Hand Lettering. Now copy and paste the following as you will need to complete and correctly document these 7 steps on the your design process:
- Understand the Problem
- Research and Investigate
- Generate Possible Solutions
- Select AND DEVELOP Best Solution
- Model and Prototype (Create)
- Test and Evaluate
- Research and demonstrate an understanding of typographic form and font design elements
- Select a human characterstic, inspring thought, or quote that will inspire others while inspiring your design
- Produce a 1 hand rendered typographic design that promotes positive cultural change
- Apply the creative process to practice and execute hand lettering with optional digital post-processing
- Demonstrate how you used problem solving skills
- Explore and demonstrate at least one NEW digital skill (It is not required that you use the skill in your final solution)
PROJECT REQUIREMENTS & INSTRUCTION
Design Process STAGE 1: UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM
1. Consider what the goal of your design is:
- What is an inspiring thought?
- Why have you been asked to use hand lettering?
- What will you be communicating?
- What is the goal of this design?
Design Process STAGE 2: Research and Investigate
Always record every resource either as a cited source or a linked resource with documentation on your project page.
2. Research topic information thoroughly:
- What kind of thoughts, statements, or quotes will impact your community
- Research typographic letterform and anatomy
- What different ways is hand lettering used in design
- What artists have have used hand lettering
- What makes their designs successful
- What materials and techniques are essential for Hand lettering
Look for artists, techniques, styles, inspiration
Hand Lettering resources on my Diigo page
Design Process STAGE 3: Generate Possible Solutions
3. Brainstorm ideas for visual imagery representing elements of your topic -- Show your brainstorming as idea webs, clouds, lists, found imagery, small sketches of elements (at least 25 ideas, words, elements required)
- Brainstorm - positive quotes, thoughts, and statements to illustrate
- Brainstorm - Imagery, shapes or colors that you can explore
- Brainstorm - style, techniques, or even a mediums you could use for your the design
- Brainstorm - colors, objects, patterns, images, or stories that could make a connection to your idea
4. Sketch thumbnail design layouts and ideas
- Sketch at least 10 completely different design solutions in your sketchbook.
- Thumbnail sketches may be small but should still have some detail and quality
- Designs should be ORIGINAL though inspired!
- Consider possible color schemes and fonts (fonts can still inspire your hand lettering)
- select your format: square, rectangular, oval, wide, thin, etc.
Design Process STAGE 4: Select and Develop Best Solution
5. Select the best solution
- notate why you have chosen it
- Finalize a new detailed sketch clarifying ALL design plans
- sketch the composition of entire design plan
- Focus on possible color schemes, sizes relationships, layout
- Document what Principles and Elements you will utilize (line, shape, space, movement, etc.)
- Hierarchy is essential in this project: Be sure to shoe importance of different elements
Design Process STAGE 5: Model and Prototype (Create)
6. Begin production of your design
- Artwork must be at least 13" on the short side with a resolution of 150ppi or more
- Practice, develop or refine new skills you are exploring.
- Remember Craftmanship matters. It shows you care!
- All images and illustrations must be original and follow copyright laws
- Remember to take in-progress screenshots for you project page-required
- Get in-progress critiques from classmates and the Capatain
Design Process STAGE 6: Test and Evaluate
7. Self-reflect on your design
- self-reflect and carefully evaluate your successes and difficulties.
- How could you take it further?
- Ask others for their opinions and document the suggestions whether you agree with them or not.
- Refine or develop elements of the design that can be improved
- Consider asking the Captain for a brief In-Progress Critique
Design Process STAGE 7: Produce
8. Turn in the final .JPG and Print
- Turn file into the captain's server
- Request to have final art printed
- Finalize Project Page with full self-reflection
- what you learned
- Fill our grade sheet and give to the Captain
COMPLETE: You need a fully finished project page including all scanned sketchbook work with captions. Turn your your finished artwork to the Captain's Server. Finally Paste the URL to your project page below and submit the checklist confirmation so that you may then click complete.
Great Work Design Agent.
Amazing work, Visitor.
Go hang the finished piece on the Critique wall at the front of the classroom. Other's need to see what you have accomplished.
MASTERY: To earn your mastery:
- Get your artwork printed and matted or mounted (If its larger than 8.5 x 11 it will need to be matted or spray mounted. ask the Captain) AND...
- Have it selected for display in the hall
You are a truly special talent, Visitor!
We have big plans for you!!