It’s a fairly accessible topic for most (although I remember a few times in my bachelor days when this topic would have been out of my reach due to the lack of anything containing vitamins in my refrigerator). Because you can find fruit or veggies doesn't by default mean you have your photo. Push this subject to work for you rather than simply making it work as found. While not required Color and Value can dominate this still-life composition you will create. So...
So grab your camera – raid the fridge and get creative!
Remember: All Epic Design Quests require documentation of your design process. Be sure you are very familiar with the design process before beginning any Epic Quest.
To begin this project now you may complete move on to Stage 2
Create your new project page titled "Fruit and Veggies". Now copy and paste the following as you will need to complete and document these 7 steps on the your design process:
- Understand the Problem
- Research and Investigate
- Generate Possible Solutions
- Select AND DEVELOP Best Solution
- Model and Prototype (Create)
- Test and Evaluate
It is worth remembering, that no topic is inherently boring and that even the most mundane can result in beautiful work. What matters is not the thing or even the ideas, but the way it is interpreted; the way you respond to it, what it means to you and whether it wriggles inside and kicks at your soul.
- Plan and Produce 2 conceptual images utilizing Fruits or Vegetable as subject matter
- Explore creative compositions utilizing P&E
- Use creative problem solving for a inspired and original solution
- Demonstrate how you used problem solving skills
- Explore and demonstrate at least one NEW digital skill (It is not required that you use the skill in your final solution)
PROJECT REQUIREMENTS & INSTRUCTION
- At Least One Proofsheet
- Project Page documenting Entire Design Process
- 2 Final Prints
- optional matting
Design Process STAGE 1: UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM
1. Consider what the goal of your photography is
- What will you communicate?
- Why are you photographing Fruits and Veggies?
- What are you exploring in this assignment?
- What might be your greatest challenge to reach success?
Always record all resources either as a cited source or a web linked resource with documentation
Design Process STAGE 2: Research and Investigate
2. Research information topic thoroughly
- Researched your purpose. Clarify what is needed to be successful
- The more information you have about the people place concept of a project, the more inventive and creative you can be as you brainstorm design ideas.
- What would a food photographer say it takes to be successful at a career in food photography?
- What types of lighting are you going to explore....how?
Design Process STAGE 3: Generate Possible Solutions
3. Brainstorm ideas for visual imagery representing elements of your topic -- Show your brainstorming as idea webs, clouds, lists, found imagery, small sketches of elements (the more the better)
- Brainstorm - concepts (what your design is trying to show, say, or communicate)
- Brainstorm - NEW styles, techniques, or even a mediums you will use to create the design
- Brainstorm - colors, objects, patterns, images, or stories that could make a connection to your idea
4. Begin sketching thumbnail ideas for your concept.
- Sketch at least 4 different rough design solutions
- Thumbnail sketches should be about 4" sketches in sketchbook
- Designs should be ORIGINAL though inspiration is commonly found from other artists!
- Think about qualities of Light and Shadow
Design Process STAGE 4: Select and Develop Best Solution
5. Select the best solution
- notate why you have chosen it
- Finalize a new detailed sketch of best solution
- sketch the layout of entire design with sizes being accurate
- Focus on possible color schemes
Design Process STAGE 5: Model and Prototype (Create)
6. Begin production of your design
- Be aware of your image size
- Practice, develop or refine new technical skills you are exploring.
- Remember Craftmanship matters. It shows you care!
- Maintain originality
- Document your thoughts of difficulties, failures, and challenges
- RESHOOT when necessary
Design Process STAGE 6: Test and Evaluate
7. Self-reflect on your design
- self-reflect and carefully evaluate your successes and failures
- How could you take it further or improve?
- Do a Self-Critique and ask others as well
- Consider asking the Captain for a brief In-Progress Critique
Design Process STAGE 7: Produce
8. Turn in the final .JPG and Print
- Turn 2 files into the captain's server
- Title final images as: lastname_firstname_fruit1.jpg
- Get final printed and mounted
- Finalize Project Page with full self-reflection
- what you learned
- Complete our grade sheet
COMPLETE: You need a fully documented project page included all scanned sketchbook work with captions. Turn your your finished artwork in to the Coulson's server. Finally paste the URL (web address) to your project page below and you may then click complete.
Great Work Design Agent.
Amazing work, Visitor.
MASTERY: To earn your mastery:
- Get your artwork matted or mounted
- Go hang the finished piece on the Critique wall at the front of the classroom. Other's need to see what you have accomplished.
- Actively participate in the class critique
You are a truly special talent, Visitor!
There is greatness in your future!!
As an added Bonus if your Artwork is displayed in the Hall please claim the bonus loot with Extra Mastery.
You make your Captain and your school Proud.
You might want to consider submitting your artwork in competitions in the future. You deserve to be recognized on bigger stages!